Unix Design Engineer
Note: SC Clearance lapsed/current essential - no applications accepted from consultants who have not had prior SC Clearance
This Unix/Linux/Solaris Engineer supports and deploys stable and cost-effective Unix environments and Solaris SAP upgrades. The Engineer is responsible for the installation and monitoring of Unix and Linux operating systems and virtual machine sub-system software, as well as meeting customer needs related to these environments. The Engineer develops and maintains disaster recovery procedures and leverages these procedures regularly for system maintenance. Automation is an essential principle the Unix Engineer will use for minimising standard work, so the team can continue engineering the high performance, scalable solutions that power the business. Cutting edge technologies are a mainstay for supporting the dynamic environment. The role will also require the occasional development of Unix/Linux/Solaris design work, specifically Low level designs based on the Architecture focused High Level Designs (HLDs).
Essential Job Requirements
- Installs, monitors and tunes Unix, Linux and Solaris operating system software and virtual machine sub-system software.
- Designs and deploys server hardware for all variants and periodically reviews configurations for optimal performance.
- Develops processing standards, procedures, and automation for use by internal and customer staff in a constantly growing and evolving environment.
- Familiar with the implementation of UNIX print queues and the development of automation scripts.
- Focuses much of their time on project work, escalating to senior staff and management when applicable.
- Provides technical support to IT staff during systems designs, developments and deployments as required.
- Participates in a 24/7 on-call rotation, providing level 3 escalations and project work as required
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of Unix/Linux/Solaris operating systems and hardware.
- Knowledge of Sun/Oracle M Series hardware
- Design and implementation experience of Solaris Zones (Solaris 10)
- Experience of Oracle Solaris Live Upgrade including where sparse and non-sparse Zones are used
- Demonstrable experience of Veritas Cluster Server - setup and operation
- Ideally experience of working on systems hosting SAP ERP, an understanding of SAP environment requirements in terms of storage, users, project settings etc. would be extremely beneficial
- Knowledge of Storage Area Networks Servers.
- Knowledge of programming language concepts.
- Deep knowledge of at least one Scripting language (Perl, KSH, or Python).
- Ability to balance and manage customer needs, daily responsibilities and additional projects as assigned.
- Experience working as part of a project team including projects that involve interfacing with customer stakeholders and multiple technical and business teams.
- Ability to focus simultaneously on production duties and customer needs.
- Works with a sense of urgency and purpose and challenges the status quo.
- Ability to manage scheduled tasks and meet deadlines
Allegis Group Limited and Aston Carter Limited operate Employment Businesses and Agencies and are companies within the Allegis Group Inc. group of companies, the fourth largest staffing company in the world, (collectively referred to as the "Allegis Group"). TEKsystems and Aerotek are divisions of Allegis Group Limited. Applicant data will be treated in accordance with the Allegis Group's Privacy Notice. By submitting personal data to any company or division within the Allegis Group, the applicant is providing explicit consent to the use of such data by the Allegis Group and to the transfer of such data to and from the Allegis Group companies within the UK, Europe and outside the European Economic Area in connection with the fulfilment of the applicant's voluntary requests, and the fulfilment of other job opportunities that match the applicant's profile, and confirms that they may be contacted about such job opportunities.